Kung Fu Hustle

Miyazaki

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Brief Glance Inside My Skull



I decided to start a blog.  Why?  Well, I have things to say about primarily movies, books, and comics.  I find my co-workers are not terribly conversant on these subjects and Twitter offers little in the way of a conversation.  Add to that the emergent desire to climb on a soapbox as I get older and speak my mind, that leads me to starting a blog.

What do I have to say about movies?  Movies have been a religion for me.  Where some people quote scripture, I quote movies.  Instead of teaching the lessons of the parables, I point to screenplays that brilliantly examine the human condition by Paddy Chayefsky, Billy Wilder, Menno Meyjes or David Seidler.  I have spend more time in the dark, watching movies than almost anything else I do, except reading.  Good movies have been an essential teaching tool to bring history and literature to life.  The Tuskagee Airmen was a great opportunity to teach my sons about racism, especially after they had the chance to meet surviving members of the 332nd at a local airshow. Add to that I like to speculate about who should make what films, especially things like getting Guillermo Del Toro to direct Viggo Mortensen as Dr. Strange.

Books are simple.  I have worked in bookstores and libraries. I like to match up readers with good books, introducing them to authors who deserve to be read.  Neil Gaiman, Seanan McGuire, Tim Powers and Jonathan Maberry are just a few of the people I will review and support.  I will cover subjects like why I think e-readers are a good thing, despite loving books.  

I bought my first comic book in the late 1960's.  I have stopped buying for a few years at a time, as money has been needed for more important projects, but I return and collect.  As we look as DC's struggle to make something worthwhile from the New 52 and Marvel's desire to bring all their title closer to a single narrative to support their film franchise, I will also look at what may be the new rise of independent comics and the flow to webcomics.

Are these the only things I will write about?  Nope.  I have things to say about television, politics and swords.  I have more to say about swords than most of you will want to hear about, but some things just need to be said.  I will try to keep it a balanced mix, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment